Auburn River Campground Auburn River Campground Auburn River Campground Campground SymbolAndName Lightning Ridge Walgett Shire Council Australia Barakula State Forest Office Barakula State Forest Office Barakula State Forest Office Information SymbolAndName Barakula Queensland Australia Boam Ck Bridge At least five of twelve bridges on a section of the Inland Defence Road between Eidsvold and Banana were built by Italian and Albanian internees in 1942–1943, as part of the effort to provide an inland road link to North Queensland during World War II. During the 1930s road construction had provided relief for the unemployed. However, by 1942 the enlistment of men in the armed services created a shortage of labour. A solution was the employment of “enemy aliens” (residents of Australia who were not citizens and whose country of origin was at war with Australia). In early 1942 a round-up of enemy aliens occurred on the North Queensland coast, which was considered to be in danger of Japanese attack. Interned Italians and Albanians were then put to work on the Inland Defence Road. On a heavy rock section at Camboon 120 non-refugee enemy aliens were employed, initially under a military guard which was soon taken away. Work on five A class composite bridges was approved in April 1942 by the Commissioner for Main Roads, to be carried out by day labour under the Army Defence Road Scheme. In April 1942 nine men were required for work on Boam Creek bridge, which by September had excavations taken out for abutments and cylinders in place for founding concrete piers, one of which was completed. By September 1942 Cracow Creek bridge had piers completed and one span of girders in place. Horse Gully (Horse Creek) bridge was trafficable on 17 January 1943. Defence Road Bridges, Reported Place 30169, Queensland Heritage Register At least five of twelve bridges on a section of the Inland Defence Road between Eidsvold and Banana were built by Italian and Albanian internees in 1942–1943, as part of the effort to provide an inland road link to North Queensland during World War II. During the 1930s road construction had provided relief for the unemployed. However, by 1942 the enlistment of men in the armed services created a shortage of labour. A solution was the employment of “enemy aliens” (residents of Australia who were not citizens and whose country of origin was at war with Australia). In early 1942 a round-up of enemy aliens occurred on the North Queensland coast, which was considered to be in danger of Japanese attack. Interned Italians and Albanians were then put to work on the Inland Defence Road. On a heavy rock section at Camboon 120 non-refugee enemy aliens were employed, initially under a military guard which was soon taken away. Work on five A class composite bridges was approved in April 1942 by the Commissioner for Main Roads, to be carried out by day labour under the Army Defence Road Scheme. In April 1942 nine men were required for work on Boam Creek bridge, which by September had excavations taken out for abutments and cylinders in place for founding concrete piers, one of which was completed. By September 1942 Cracow Creek bridge had piers completed and one span of girders in place. Horse Gully (Horse Creek) bridge was trafficable on 17 January 1943. Defence Road Bridges, Reported Place 30169, Queensland Heritage Register Bridge SymbolAndName Lightning Ridge Walgett Shire Council Australia Bridge 2 Stone bridges built in 1940’s by hand by POW’s Stone bridges built in 1940’s by hand by POW’s Bridge SymbolAndName Lightning Ridge Walgett Shire Council Australia Bridge 3 Stone bridges built in 1940’s by hand by POW’s Stone bridges built in 1940’s by hand by POW’s Bridge SymbolAndName Lightning Ridge Walgett Shire Council Australia Camboon Campdraft Grounds Camboon Campdraft Grounds Camboon Campdraft Grounds Information SymbolAndName Cattle Dip Lookout Cattle Dip Lookout Glenhaughton, Queensland, Australia Cattle Dip Lookout Glenhaughton, Queensland, Australia Scenic Area SymbolAndName Chain Lagoons Chain Lagoons Chain Lagoons Campground SymbolAndName Coondarra No 5 Fire Tower Coondarra No 5 Fire Tower Coondarra No 5 Fire Tower Radio Beacon SymbolAndName Barakula Queensland AUS Coopers Creek Wind Farm Coopers Creek Wind Farm Coopers Creek Wind Farm Information SymbolAndName Cracow Hotel Cracow Hotel Cracow Hotel Bar SymbolAndName Lightning Ridge Walgett Shire Council Australia Darr Creek Fuel It really is an oasis! BEST burgers going! Darr Ck Oasis (07) 4668 8726 It really is an oasis! BEST burgers going! Darr Ck Oasis (07) 4668 8726 Gas Station SymbolAndName Expedition Ampitheatre Expedition National Park Expedition National Park Information SymbolAndName Flagstones Did you know that there is an 148 year old road named Flagstaff Road at the northern end of Isla Gorge? The road was built in 1860 and used until the early 1930s. A 150 m section of the road was surfaced (or flagged) with hand-hewn stones. Take the time to read the tremendous feat of the men who built the road and how it still serves to prevent soil erosion to this day. Also check out the lookout for spectacular views of the valley and ranges. The Historic Flagstaff Road Trail leads you to a site of epic proportions. The hand laid Flagstone Road was built in the early 1860’s, using large rock slabs and only a small gang of men. Used to carry wool from Roma to the port of Rockhampton, the road helped to build Queensland and the nation. The drain systems still carry storm water and prevent erosion to this day. Constructed in the 1860s, the road was used to transport wool from the western town of Roma to the coastal port at Rockhampton. For this 150 metre section up the range, massive slabs of rock were cut by hand from boulders on the site. No cement was used to lay the pavers; they were shaped to fit neatly together, creating a firm surface on the steep slope. Hand-made culverts drained rain water away, preventing erosion and conserving the area. Six men took six months to build the paved road at a cost of £200. Did you know that there is an 148 year old road named Flagstaff Road at the northern end of Isla Gorge? The road was built in 1860 and used until the early 1930s. A 150 m section of the road was surfaced (or flagged) with hand-hewn stones. Take the time to read the tremendous feat of the men who built the road and how it still serves to prevent soil erosion to this day. Also check out the lookout for spectacular views of the valley and ranges. The Historic Flagstaff Road Trail leads you to a site of epic proportions. The hand laid Flagstone Road was built in the early 1860’s, using large rock slabs and only a small gang of men. Used to carry wool from Roma to the port of Rockhampton, the road helped to build Queensland and the nation. The drain systems still carry storm water and prevent erosion to this day. Constructed in the 1860s, the road was used to transport wool from the western town of Roma to the coastal port at Rockhampton. For this 150 metre section up the range, massive slabs of rock were cut by hand from boulders on the site. No cement was used to lay the pavers; they were shaped to fit neatly together, creating a firm surface on the steep slope. Hand-made culverts drained rain water away, preventing erosion and conserving the area. Six men took six months to build the paved road at a cost of £200. Scenic Area SymbolAndName Lightning Ridge Walgett Shire Council Australia Flagstones Turnoff Flagstones Turnoff Flagstones Turnoff Triangle, Red SymbolAndName Glenhaughton Knob Glenhaughton Knob Glenhaughton Knob Summit SymbolAndName Glenmoral Gap Views Views Scenic Area SymbolAndName Hawkwood Ford Boyne River Boyne River Skull and Crossbones SymbolAndName Isla Gorge Campground Isla Gorge Campground Isla Gorge Campground Campground SymbolAndName Kumbia Hotel 07 4164 4111 07 4164 4111 Bar SymbolAndName 46 Bell St Kumbia Queensland Australia 4610 07 4164 4111 Lake Murphy Camp Site Lake Murphy Camp Site Lake Murphy Camp Site Campground SymbolAndName Lightning Ridge Walgett Shire Council Australia Leichhardt Hotel Taroom Leichhardt Hotel Taroom Leichhardt Hotel Taroom Bar SymbolAndName Taroom Queensland Australia 4420 Maidenwell Hotel Pig on Spit last Saturday of the month Free camp on oval behind pub. Pig on Spit last Saturday of the month Free camp on oval behind pub. Bar SymbolAndName Mt Cannondale National Park National Park Summit SymbolAndName Oxtrack Ck Bridge Stone bridges built in 1940’s by hand by POW’s Stone bridges built in 1940’s by hand by POW’s Bridge SymbolAndName Lightning Ridge Walgett Shire Council Australia Peanga Fire Tower Radio Beacon SymbolAndName Durah Queensland AUS Presho Sandy Crossing Deep Sand Deep Sand Skull and Crossbones SymbolAndName Robinson Gorge Entrance End of walking track sign End of walking track sign Information SymbolAndName Robinson Gorge Lookout Robinson Gorge Lookout Robinson Gorge Lookout Scenic Area SymbolAndName Roper Pass Expedition National Park Expedition National Park Summit SymbolAndName Round Mtn Fire Compass Radio Beacon SymbolAndName Durah Queensland AUS Royal Hotel Mundubbera 07 4165 4204 07 4165 4204 Bar SymbolAndName 4 Lyons St Mundubbera Queensland Australia 4626 07 4165 4204 Sheperds's Peak Lookout Sign Sheperds's Peak Lookout Sign Sheperds's Peak Lookout Sign Scenic Area SymbolAndName Spotted Gum Spotted Gum Spotted Gum Information SymbolAndName St Claire Range Expedition National Park Expedition National Park Summit SymbolAndName Starkvale Creek Campground - Expedition Np Scenic Robinson Gorge is one of the main features of Expedition National Park, located on the Expedition Range between Taroom and Rolleston. The gorge winds 14km between sheer sandstone cliffs up to 100m high. It begins as a broad shallow basin in the north and narrows to a deep pool and narrow gorge towards its southern end. Lined with Dawson River palms (Livistona nitida) (a relic from the era of dinosaurs), bottlebrushes and wattles, this section of park is home to several rare plant species. Aboriginal peoples inhabited this area for thousands of years before European exploration and aboriginal art sites have been reported in the park. The sites are unmarked so keep a keen eye out. National Parks and Wildlife ask that if you do spot any art sites please don't disturb them. There is a 6km walk down into Robinson Gorge, 4Km to the Robinson lookout or a 3.6Km walk to Shepards peak. Scenic Robinson Gorge is one of the main features of Expedition National Park, located on the Expedition Range between Taroom and Rolleston. The gorge winds 14km between sheer sandstone cliffs up to 100m high. It begins as a broad shallow basin in the north and narrows to a deep pool and narrow gorge towards its southern end. Lined with Dawson River palms (Livistona nitida) (a relic from the era of dinosaurs), bottlebrushes and wattles, this section of park is home to several rare plant species. Aboriginal peoples inhabited this area for thousands of years before European exploration and aboriginal art sites have been reported in the park. The sites are unmarked so keep a keen eye out. National Parks and Wildlife ask that if you do spot any art sites please don't disturb them. There is a 6km walk down into Robinson Gorge, 4Km to the Robinson lookout or a 3.6Km walk to Shepards peak. Campground SymbolAndName The Battery The Battery The Battery Summit SymbolAndName Tin Hut Nat Parks quarters occupied. Nat Parks quarters occupied. Residence SymbolAndName 485.000000 Turkey Mountain Summit SymbolAndName Durah Queensland AUS EZY E21 Day 1 385 Km Red EZY E21 Day 2 365 Km Blue EZY E21 Day 3 439 Km 536 Km Home from Lake Murphy on Day 3 Route EZY Expedition21 347 Km Starkvale to Jandowae Dam Cyan EZY E21 Day 4 276 Km Magenta 403.476563 400.867188 307.886719 254.664063 228.046875 235.214844 221.035156 215.691406 203.699219 176.457031